Wednesday, January 15, 2014

An amazing Canadian.


Every now and then, someone comes along that makes you feel really proud to be a Canadian.  I can think of a few offhand.  I think about Terry Fox, David Suzuki, Leonard Cohen, Bryan Adams, Sarah McLachlan, the 2010 Men's and Women's Olympic Hockey Teams… I could dwindle down in to politicians, musicians, actors and poets… but it does get you to stop for a moment and think about what national (or even local) folks you look up to, or can make you feel nationalistic pride.  I remember going to the Calgary Stampede in 2000, and feeling proud of being Canadian when I watched the opening ceremonies.  Having never crossed the Rockies before, it was a big deal to embrace these folks as "also Canadian".  I am really glad I asked (and received) this book for Christmas.  This is a book I want to read with my kids.  I will read with my kids.  What an inspiring man.  Hadfield quietly celebrates life, and in the process I think has inspired the world and helped many of us reconnect with space.  

Reading this book, I felt the urge to start to underline passages.  Not only does Hadfield make his experiences accessible to everyone, he describes his experiences and overall philosophy with a gentle grace, that has left me with nothing but respect for him as a person.  There are lessons within how he has lived his life, and with the joy he embraces the moments.  There are lessons within his drive, and even in the negative elements that he had to focus on to become an astronaut, which truly weren't negatives.  

This is an inspiring read.  Pick up a copy, and celebrate a truly fabulous Canadian.


No comments: