Friday, January 3, 2014

I may be a fan...

I will admit it.  I like Allen's writing style.  When I need a light read, with a little bit of whimsy, I find that I have really enjoyed each of the books she has written.  She has a new one coming out in a few weeks, and I think I will head to the library and sign up for a library card so I can read her fourth (and maybe fifth) book without having to pay for it.  This is one of those books I can easily read in a day.  I started the day off lazing around in bed, and I finished the day back in bed turning the last few pages.

I even recognized a character from one of her previous books.  Sometimes it is nice to read a book populated with interesting characters that is about friendship - with a little romance, and a little earth magic (for lack of a better description). 

In my reviews, I find I try to capture more of the feeling I had when I read a book, rather than give a blow by blow summary of what happened.  I am not sure why I have chosen this path - perhaps it has been an unconscious choice from all the literary reports I wrote during my undergraduate degree.  I also think you can go to amazon or chapters for lots of plot and summary reviews, and I tend to express whether or not I enjoyed the book, or to relate something that moved me.  This was a pleasurable read, and I enjoyed the picture of a southern town with it's hidden history and relationships between women.  The writing isn't too ornate, and the reads are quick, and each of the three books I have read by Allen have all been enjoyable.

No comments: