Monday, February 13, 2012

The quotable Twain




If you have some spare time, and need a chuckle.. spend some time here...
I spent a few moments scrolling through some of the pages of quotes and found myself chuckling a few times - this came out of a conversation with a friend about the classics, when I asked whether or not she had read any of Mark Twain.. she responded that since he had a very low opinion regarding Jane Austen, she had never bothered with his books (I couldn't help but laugh when she told me that Twain thought that Austen should have been beaten over the head with her own leg bone)... hearing this, I had to go to the website:

"I haven't any right to criticise books, and I don't do it except when I hate them. I often want to criticise Jane Austen, but her books madden me so that I can't conceal my frenzy from the reader; and therefore I have to stop every time I begin. Everytime I read 'Pride and Prejudice' I want to dig her up and beat her over the skull with her own shin-bone."- Letter to Joseph Twichell, 13 September 1898 (Mark Twain).

For the whole thread that illuminates Twain's position on Austen, visit here.

No comments: