Sunday, February 5, 2012

9 is the new midnight...

This is the second book I have read in this series, and it was a fast paced action/suspense novel. Since I am "new" to this series, the books I have read focus more on the Joe Pike character rather than Elvis Cole.. at times during this book, I couldn't help but think that here was a slightly different version of Jack Reacher (strong, tough, slightly alienated every man). Although I have enjoyed both Crais and Child's books, I think that Crais' novels are a little bit more believable, if you could stretch it that way. Although that isn't saying I haven't enjoyed each - I have and do.

This was not a deep novel, and didn't really drive character development that far forward. You learn a few more tidbits about Pike's character, a little more humanity, and I am intrigued enough to keep reading the Cole/Pike novels. This novel explored Serbian gangs in SO-CAL and the underworld around it. Definitely interesting, fast-paced, and a good distraction from the daily grind.

I am having a hard time settling on my next book - do I read the Robinson book that I have waiting for me, or a fluffy Roberts novel, or one of Kate Morton's books.. I have read a few pages of them all and I suspect I will break and go for the Robinson...

That was another weekend that blitzed by. We babysat my parent's dog today and that is definitely enough to convince me that a cat and fish house is good. Give it at least 3 years before contemplating the wisdom of a doggie. Visits are good. Overnights are okay. Permanent stays, not so good at this point, LOL. It is amazing how different life is when it doesn't rain. I puttered around my backyard a little, and we took the dog for a walk along the dyke. At least the days are getting longer... it is getting dark just as we are getting home... a few more weeks and we might have some daylight time left to play outside before dinner!! I seem to have adjusted to early mornings fairly easily... the downside is that my bedtime has moved up drastically! speaking of which....

No comments: