Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Spiked Stew

The joys of multitasking as a not so new mom. I was making a stew yesterday, and I normally like to add a dark beer to the mix because of how it brings out the flavours in the beef (read I just like having a good beer in my stew)... so in the pot went a few handfuls of barley, some spices, some bouillon, the beef, and then I reached in the fridge, grabbed a bottle, popped the top and poured happily away. Being good, I didn't even take a swig before I added the beer to the stew.

I chopped my onions, and just before I added them to the pot, I took a closer look at the empty bottle on the counter. *AHEM* I had grabbed a bottle of J0e Stiffs, the spiked root beer. I would love to have the look on my face captured on film, but I stood there like an idiot for a moment, then tasted the stew. Hmmm. Nice, just a sweet hint, of, is that, root beer and beef? Yah. No. So, out came the beef, and whatever else I could salvage (the bay leaves, since I no longer scrunch them up and leave them whole) , and out went the sloshing sweet mix and spike down the drain. The second coming was much closer to my liking - a not so bad beer from a local company added to my own blend of bits and pieces for stews.

Other than that, my dad and I have been out for a few walks this week. We went on a grand adventure under the Port Mann bridge today - and got caught in the snow! Of course, my dad being him was out in a golf shirt and my only nod at winter was the brown toque I had on. I was glad for the brain wave I had to actually grab the rain shield for the stroller so Brandon was snug as a bug. Granted the snow didn't stick around that long, and nothing that a blast of heat can't cure. Didn't turn either of us off a side excursion for ice cream though :]

Got to spend a good chunk of time in the dentist's chair tonight too. Finally getting that crown done on the root canal from last year. The temporary one held until now - which is great because I had run out of room on our plans last year after that terrible run when I was 4 months pregnant. Of course, being me and my teeth, once the tooth was exposed, it was discovered that the filling on the tooth beside it had cracked. So, while I was frozen, may as well get that fixed too!! It is ironic, although I will have as many fillings and as much work done on my teeth as before, slowly and surely all of my old silver fillings are being replaced by porcelain. I am no longer a metal mouth... well, perhaps the transformation will never be complete because I do have a few gold crowns kicking around....

1 comment:

Cher said...

I would have added worchestershire (I just like saying that word) sauce and called it a day! Or I would have ordered pizza from Papa J0hn's!! (that is the best meal I make!) ;0