Thursday, February 22, 2007

Dirt under my nails

This week was supposed to be nothing but non stop rain! It has been a wonderful surprise that most days the sun has come out, and I have either taken Brandon out for a walk, or, like today, I got out in the garden and was able to get my hands dirty!!

Ok, so perhaps I was somewhat motivated by fear. My dad is something to behold with pruning tools, and he was out lurking in the yard this morning. Once Brandon went down for his afternoon nap, I went outside to suss out what was what. Well, I had to laugh when my dad pointed to the hydrangea bush that he cut back - aside from a few sticks coming out of the ground, I really didn't see the bush anymore. My dad gets a little enthusiastic when he starts to prune, and his sights were set on the apple tree. I gave him a hand, or shall I say, supervised the trimming of the tree. I am happy to say that the tree has not been butchered, and the long straggly branches that needed a trim have been taken care of. It feels good to get out in the yard (to even have a yard to go in to) and pull up the dead plants, move away the broken pottery, and breath in the spring air. I got to garden to the sound of my cats meowing from behind the screen door! A fine way to spend an hour or two. Much better to outside than inside on a day like today!

No comments: