Sunday, February 15, 2015

Interesting premise.. just not the first go around

Reading a Nora Roberts book for me is like visiting an old friend. I started reading her books when I was a teenager and she was still writing for Harlequin romance.  You could tell back then that she was going to be a writing star.  I like her books, they normally come to a satisfactory end, and they provide escapism and lovely storylines that are a little light on depth.  I like the stories about Ireland, or about Irish descendants (being one myself), and the bits of earth magic she weaves through her stories. I find that I enjoy books like that - that push certain boundaries a little and do believe in hope, and magick, and things that we cannot always see and understand.  I do not read her J.D. Robb books anymore, and I don't always seek out the stand alones either.  That she has been able to write over 200 books is staggering.  There are reasons why she is popular, and she is a go-to author in a sense, but there is a time and a place.
I enjoyed this book more in the beginning rather than the end. I will read the trilogy (helps that my mom got it for Christmas), and it is enjoyable fluff in my books.  However, this trilogy reminds me of another trilogy she wrote - slightly different window dressing, but the same basic framework. So I read these novels for the predictable, warm-hearted, slightly mystical escape that they are and don't go much further than that. 

No comments: