Wednesday, February 5, 2014

I tried. Short stories just don't rock my world.

This is a book that has intrigued me for a while.  Maybe it was the lead characters name or just the cover… I wanted to read it.

I kind of struggled through this one.  There are some poetic moments, and some really moving passages, but I really struggle with short stories.  This novel is about Olive Kitteridge, and she is the protagonist in a few of these stories, but this novel contains 12 short stories that paint a picture of Olive, and not always from her perspective.

It is compelling, and I did want to finish it.  At times some of the stories were unsatisfying because I wanted more.  I like sweeping epic novels, and this wasn't that.  It does have a bittersweet story to tell, and it is an interesting way to reveal a character through their own words, and the impressions of others.  Yes, it is a decent read.  Am I screaming "read this" from the rooftops, nope.  I would say that Olive may stick with me for a while just as a character, and how we learn about ourselves as we age (not always flattering what we come to realize about ourselves).  It is also important to pay attention to the little moments we take for granted, and our relationships with others.  I was happy to finish this one last night so I could move on to the next book.

Speaking of books, my oldest is taking a further leap in to reading and he is loving Geronimo Stilton right now.  He is reading on his own!  He is also totally into his current book, and I love seeing him that engaged.  As well, at his after school program, the boys are all learning how to make friendship bracelets with their fingers or forks and loving it.  How cool is that?

No comments: