Friday, February 14, 2014

Two jettisoned in two months. Blech.

I really wanted to like this book.  I started contemplating if I would finish it about page 75, made it to page 125, and I decided it was time to cut the cord.

The writing isn't terrible, and it hard some great opening lines, but it just didn't do it for me.   In a sense, the writing style reminded me of Dennis Lehane (Mystic River)… whom I also had a hard time getting in to.

I found the story interesting enough, it just didn't move fast enough, and I found I didn't care enough about the lead characters.  You knew the parents in this story were not well matched, would rob a bank, and one would commit suicide in jail. The sister doesn't really appear to have a great outcome in life, and the narrator will eventually lose themselves in education.

So on I have moved.  Between this and a few of the other books I have read lately, I figured I would just make a break for some totally escapist literature and I grabbed a Lee Child novel as predictable, entertaining, light fodder.  It is delivering a fast-paced, not all that intellectually stimulating novel.  In light of the week I just had at work, a perfect choice.

I have a month until I return to my old position at work.  I will admit to having an open mind about going back, and not being very excited, but I really don't know that to expect.  It will be really interesting to watch how things unfold in the coming months.  I was aiming to complete a job today, and it did get done, but it was a bit of a battle.  Time.  Processes taking their time.  Correcting errors and adjusting figures.  Very interesting, very time consuming.  In the end, very worth getting it done.  There is nothing like the satisfaction of completing a hard task.  It is strange this isn't my problem anymore in a month.  I will miss the different demands on me, and learning so much.

No comments: