Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Not quick up to first novel I read by them...

Without a doubt, French is a good writer.  I wish I could say that I enjoyed this book as much as I did the first book I read by her, but I didn't.

That being said, I loved certain parts of this book - I like reading about Dublin - I even recognized some of the places I have been.  I liked the accents, the dynamics, parts of the story.  There was also parts that stalled out for me, and some disconnects that made it harder to flow with the story as it unfolded.

It just wasn't quite as catchy as "In the Woods", which had really surprised me.   I would read more of her books, but I won't be rushing out to buy another one anytime soon.  I also can't say that I wanted to know a lot more about our lead character, or about the other characters.  I remember a lot of angst - I guess part of it I couldn't fully grasp was how disconnected Frank was from his family... it just didn't ring fully true for me.

There are a few more thrillers I am going to read before moving back to a different genre (lets see what ideas we come up with for book club).  I am enjoying them (they engage in a different way than 'literature' books do, they are escapist in a different way).  I think I started out with a few thrillers that were really well crafted that this book just didn't cut if for me, and I will happily trade it in at a used book store for my next read.

No comments: