Wednesday, March 6, 2013

I did say I wanted experience, right?

Ah, the little life lessons and curve balls that get thrown your way.

I said I wanted to get some management experience to add to my portfolio.  Be careful what you wish for.  I only have two staff on my team, let me tell you, they present some interesting challenges.  I try to be positive, I try to be supportive, and then you realize, really, truly, it all depends where a person is in their own self development and what they want to achieve.  It is incredibly how important it is to accept responsibility for one's actions, and when we stumble or make a mistake, it is character defining how we move forward from this.  This point has been illuminated this week.

After everything we have been through with the boys, it seems we are reaching a pivotal turn and things seem to be easing again.  We are just passing hump day this week, and the phones have been quiet and the reports I am getting about their behaviour has been pretty positive.  Hopefully things are getting back on track again.

Tomorrow we try out martial arts for the first time.  I suspect it will just be the big guy, but perhaps my little man can try it out as well.  My fingers are crossed it is something they think is cool.

I have been getting out for more lunchtime walks, and I finally have a decent parking spot again.  I finally decided to go for a residence parking spot again and I am shocked at how much it means to me.  Last fall when I gave it up for the childcare switches, I didn't realize how much I enjoyed having a slightly closer spot.  I have enjoyed the walks to and from my car, but it is an extra 20 minutes each day.  Now it is a 4-5 minute walk each way, and close to both daycares.  My life is much simpler now.  I could actually walk to my car at lunch if I need to, and it won't take me the whole lunch hour to get there and back! Again, who knew?

Ultimately it seems like the last six months has been a huge learning curve - making a whole bunch of changes, to go back and undo them, and make another series of changes.  It seems like it is working.  That is except for work, I seem to be doing a lot of working and my team seems to need to be doing different tasks and getting more on point.  I am knitting again - even if it is just dishclothes.  I figure I will stockpile them for Christmas gifts or something.  I am getting out for walks and even if it is slowly, my pants are starting to fit better.  I am certainly not shedding excess weight at a blistering pace, but it is slowly starting to come off.  I am going for the little things right now that can lead to bigger things/changes. Ah yes, speaking of lessons, I am learning about keeping my gas tank full - perhaps this is a life lesson I need to fully learn (just had an epiphany writing this) - I ran out of gas Sunday afternoon, and it turned out my fuel pump was toast.  Expensive tow bill and repair, and we are running again,  with the warning to not run down past a 1/4 tank.  That says something about more than just a vehicle - not to get below that point where you don't have anything left in the tank - refuel, take that break.  Like getting out of the office and walking at lunch - it is so important to not just sit there and stare at the computer all day.  The time flies by quickly enough as it is.

No comments: