Wednesday, October 17, 2007

A cold.

Last night I felt truly pathetic. I got hammered by the first cold I have had in ages. My head was pounding, I had the attention span of gnat, I couldn't breath, I had a lovely red (and somewhat tender) nose like Rudolf, and I felt overall lousy.

I felt like a pathetic whiner with a mere cold, and frankly, I half enjoyed that awareness - only as much as I hoped like hell that the cold wasn't about to take a turn for the worse.

I was even in bed by 9'o'clock. Apparently I needed a really good sleep because I woke up this morning feeling at least marginally better, and when I got home tonight, I felt like I was a little more on the ball to interact with Brandon.

The new job is going well - a lot less stressful than what I have been dealing with, and although it is completely different (while having similar undercurrents to what I was doing) there is a big learning curve to learn what my institution is all about. I am getting there - the big picture is starting to make sense, and come next week, I will more than likely be diving in to my training feet first. I am even working with people my own age!!!!! It is a very quiet office, so me and the woman I will be working closely with have already bonded because we are about the same age, with toddlers, and booming voices. Plus we both took a leap of faith and made the jump right after a mat leave to come to this new place of employment. Nice to work with someone who truly gets where you are coming from - a bit of a novel feeling when your next closest coworker is about 20 years older than you.... and we both shared a laugh because we have both been told we are "too loud"... which is a genetic gift and one you can try to tone down, but seems to break free and loose every now and then... It is nice to not have as much customer contact and hide out and take the time to learn my job - my daycare lady made a comment that I am already looking less stressed - she had no idea this morning what was running through my head, but I guess she is right. I am not running myself ragged at work, and even though I am the newbie, I think I am relaxing in to my new role... although there have been a few moments where I feel like a lost child looking for a parent, or like a deer in the headlights.

No comments: