Saturday, March 22, 2014

I really value individuality.

I am catching up on my bookclub reads, and now I am ready for our next meeting in April.  I had a really hard time getting in to this novel.  I have come to recognize that not only do I have a hard time getting in to short stories, I also have a hard time getting in to futuristic novels that are pretty bleak.

This novel did get better after a few chapters, and it is an interesting exploration in to how "sameness"and "uniformity" and avoidance of pain can lead to a very bleak and joyless society. 

I found there was a lot of lead time to when the "giver" and the "receiver" meet, and then everything unravels quickly towards the end of the novel.  There were a few loose ends for me, which was likely by design since it would spark some good discussions with tweens, but for me, it wasn't a truly satisfying read. 

I am very much an optimist, which is affirmed when I read novels like this.  I know I can look at the world through rose-coloured glasses, and I am kind of glad for it.  I do believe we all have choices when we get up in the morning.  We can choose to dwell on the negative and have a pity party, or we can dust ourselves off, and choose a different path.  The path that involves us being the best us we can be in the moment.  I am trying to be more.. more of what I am not always sure but I do want to try to do my best, and push myself a little harder to enrich our lives to the best of my ability.  When I read novels like this, I like to see the role of the group, but also how important we ALL are as unique individuals.  The highs and lows makes our lives worth living and gives us depth and character.  I think it is important to step out of our comfort zones, and ask ourselves some tough questions at times.  I find complacency and fundamentalism/closed off minds disconcerting and I hope to never find myself in that place.

No comments: