Thursday, July 25, 2013

A lovely read...

Every now and then a book comes along that grabs you within the first pages, and you can't put it down.

I loved this book.  This will be one that I remember when the year is done and I am trying to remember what were the best 5 books that I read all year. 

This is a modern day Jane Eyre, and it is beautifully written.  Although there may be slight imperfections in the story, Gemma is an heroine that is easy to embrace, and her tale of pushing forward is one that was equal parts compelling and enjoyable to discover.  I liked the period setting, and that it took place in Scotland and Iceland.  It was foreign and familiar all at once. 

After I finished this book a few days ago, it took me a while to want to pick up another one.  It also helps I was really tired before bed each night, but it was almost a let down trying to figure out "what next".  My oldest is now 7 years old.  How did that happen?  We have celebrated birthdays, and then battled the stomach flu, and now the summer continues to race on.  After yesterday's run, I discovered that I was indeed a slug on Sunday morning.  I guess my body knew that something was coming (read stomach flu) and I was moving at a much slower pace for that jog - almost 1.5 minutes slower each mile than Wednesday morning! Learning new stuff all the time...

The curse of the white shirt also struck this morning.  I should have recognized the sign when I got toothpaste on my shirt this morning.  Got that all cleaned up and walked in to work to look down and see chocolate icing all over the front.  Classy look!

No comments: