Friday, May 3, 2013

30s, slowly going down the drain

Forty does not look like what I figured it would.  Hard to believe it was a decade ago already when I was staring down thirty in the face.  Thirty seems like a bigger deal - we went to Vegas, we had a cool backyard party, lots of cakes and people asking how I felt about turning the big 3-0.  Speed forward (literally) the next 10 years, and here we are.  Two kids, a new house, busy work, and not a lot of free time - and it has nothing to do with Ken and I being busy... it is our kids and work and commuting! 

I think I will push back a midlife crisis at least 5 years, I am just not all that fussed about turning 40.  It seems a bit surreal, and I am not fretting.  As I said, a decade ago 30 was the big deal, 31 was anticlimactic, and my thirties have been damn busy with marriage, kids, buying a house, switching jobs, redefining myself along the way.  Forty almost is a relief - I know myself better, kids aren't babies anymore, in a few years, less daycare costs (a small victory here).  I have been trying to figure out what I would like to achieve in the next year (not quite resolutions, but close).  I could call it my "turning 40 bucket list"... This next year I would love to try stand up paddle boarding, I would also love to attempt another 10 km run (aiming for this fall if I can get my ass off the couch and out of the house three days a week to train... doesn't sound too bad except the execution), achieve some house improvements (bathrooms painted, gardens updated), learn and IMAC and actually make some photobooks or print out some photos, and keep reading different books and continue knitting some projects.  The big ones are the paddle boarding and getting a little more fit.  I am trying to get out for daily walks, but I would really look look here a year from now and to have shed some of myself - say 20 pounds (at least, I want it to be a realistic goal since weight loss has always been hanging around my neck). 

I think it is going to be a busy month - between karate, track and field, play dates, wrapping up school year, birthday, long weekend (fingers crossed about a campfire at some point), and some good weather (small victory in itself) will be interesting to see where we are at in the beginning of June.  Enough already, time to prepare for the day.

No comments: