Monday, April 8, 2013

A behemoth read

I had great intentions to make a few posts over the last few weeks, however, life went and got in the way again.  In the very least, if all I do is post around when I complete reading a book, it is something. 

"The past is obdurate. It doesn't want to change." The past is also a dangerous, fickle place — and woe to anyone who dares alter it. That's the mantra coursing through "11/22/63."


I found this quote when I went trolling for the cover image, and it is a good theme to keep in mind.  This is a really long book - almost 850 pages. There were times I felt impatient, ready to move on to another book, however, that doesn't mean I was not enjoying this book (I was and did), more so that I was starting to feel eager to read something new.  This book took me all of three weeks to read, and was overall very satisfying.  Great characters, nice historical developments, and a touch of bittersweet at the end.  King paints quite the protrait of the late 1950s heading in to the early 1960s.  This is more a novel of characters, rather than as an exploration in to time travel, a more Twiligh Zone feel to it.  It has been years since I have read a King novel, and it was a welcome joy.  I would say that this one is right up there for me with his short story that formed the basis of the Stand by Me movie.  I would say, the same kind of feeling that was evoked of times past.

No comments: