Thursday, July 9, 2009

Some good, some not so good.

I have no idea when I have had the time to read in the last few weeks, but I did get through a book, and a bit.

I read Bloodletting and Other Various Cures and it wasn't quite what I expected. It is almost a smattering of "almost stories" for lack of a better word. It wasn't bad, it wasn't great. I wanted to know more about some of the threads, and others where plain confusing about why they were included. There were hints of other stories, or how things ended with some of the characters, it was an intriguing book - but just not really what I thought the book was going to be like (as I have already mentioned). Some insight in to life as a doctor, fancy that, they are just people too, but I found that this book left me wanting.

I also attempted to read The Road. It did not do it for me. I got about 100 pages in to this depressing, dark, bleak book and I decided I just didn't really need to see it to it's conclusion. It is well written, and quite poetic at times, just not my cup of tea. It is in the years (?) after some global catastrophic event and follows the footsteps of a man and his son as they head to the "coast" and hopes of at least marginally better quality of life. They consider themselves the "good guys" and there are lots of dead bodies and very little food, a lot of ash, and humans gone bad. This also was not what I expected - I should have read some reviews first since I more than likely would not have been as intrigued by the book as I was.

2 comments:

Cher said...

I agree about Blood Letting- had the same thoughts as you. The "good" news is they are attempting to make it into a TV series- weird???
The Road I tried- meh!
I read MY SISTER'S KEEPER- which I loved, I am now attempting Pillars of the Earth- it is heavy!

Kazzy said...

A TV series??? You have got to be kidding... bring back St. Elsewhere then if you need a good doctor show!! LOL

Sister's Keeper just seems INTENSE... glad to hear it was really good, may have to borrow that one from you...

Pillars of the Earth is great, if you want the follow up, let me know, will bring along next time I see you!