Wednesday, July 22, 2009

a really good read..

I finished off The Book of Negroes last night. What a great read. It is another one of the books I have bought recently because I was intrigued by it's cover. Unlike the last one, this one totally delivered. I loved this book from start to finish. It was a very satisfying read, and I was almost sad to put it down. I even read all the end notes and all the remaining bits by the author.

It is the tale of a girl taken from Sierra Leone during the slave trade, and then the tale of her extraordinary life as she lives through tumultuous times. It is compelling, the history feels sound, and it is a tale not often heard. This book deals with some really intense topics, but it never feels depressing or truly dark, there is a thread of hope that runs through this tale,a spirit if you will. Yessiree, I highly recommend this one..

I can't believe I have found some moments to read?!!!!

2 comments:

Refinnej said...

I read this one on vacation - it was excellent. My MIL wants to read it, so I left it for her.... want to get that one back next year!

Cher said...

yeah- it was a great book. I am glad that I was able to read it in one shot while I was on vacay.
I am lovin' Pillars of the Earth right now, but boy does it make my arms tired! Glad you found time to read :)