Tuesday, May 8, 2007

More renos

The last week has gone by with a flurry of cerulean blue paint, different carpeting, a bright white ceiling, and hopefully in the next day or so, a new light fixture as well. Brandon's room is just about "officially" done. Looking back over the years, the room has gone through many, many evolutions. From it's first life as our office, hockey equipment air out room, and general room that contains "I am not sure what the hell to do with this, maybe I should just store it in here" area to being a boys room. Now I can let Brandon loose in there and he can play to his heart's content and I don't have to worry about him getting splinters from the very old and battered wooden floor (I won't even grace that old floor with the term "hardwood").

I think Ken has mixed feelings about me being home (half kidding)- especially since the only shows I generally tend to watch during the day are the home improvement shows. In the last year we have redone the kitchen floor, painted the living room and hallway, and now done a complete renovation of Brandon's room. We have pretty much redone our entire since we moved in. I still have a list of little things to do (don't we all, plus it helps with mommy brain to not forget about what you intended to do in some future lifetime). Of course, add to that my ongoing phase of "letting go" of the excess belongings. We timed this reno right - it is spring clean up week and I can see a lot of stuff getting to the curb. I get twitches when I am driving around though - I can see potential in so many other people's piles that could be useful, but I resist and continue driving.

It made the weekend chaos. I had high hopes of being done by 5pm on Saturday night. Yah, right. Needless to say I am nothing if I am not an optimist. Wednesday night we got the carpet, Thursday I started to move furniture and prep the room, Friday I painted the ceiling, Saturday Ken helped me start the painting (before going out for Surf and Turf, you wait, my time will come.. LOL), and I finished up, Sunday Ken and my dad laid the carpet, I then attempted to help (somewhat with the kicker), and Sunday night we moved furniture back in.. yesterday I did some touch ups, put more stuff away, brought the clothes back in to the closet, and today I will put the curtains back up and do the last do-dads. So, if you haven't heard a damn thing from me in the last week, now you know why. Nothing personal, just up to my eyeballs in renos and thank god we are both handy around the house!!!!

I feel oddly content right now. The house is in good shape, Brandon has lots of space to move in, he actually has a room we feel good about letting him loose in, our to do list has shrunk significantly, and best of all, summer is around the corner! I am in bare feet again and can't wait to get out and spend more time outside!

1 comment:

Refinnej said...

One word: pictures.