Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Dirty Hands

I looked down today, and my hands were caked in dirt. And dry. With lots of grime under my nails. It felt great. The last week has been my backyard project, volumes 1 through whatever it has taken to get to this place. At first glance, I think, what the hell took me so long?? Then I remember the painting, and the touch ups, and the weeding, and the planting, and the playing with Brandon in his playpen, and the sweeping, and the moving around of my plant pots, moving of allen blocks, and the cleaning up of a lot of bird shit. I am sure I have missed something in that mundane list of backyard chores, but tonight we got to kick back with a strongbow and enjoy the twilight.

It was totally worth it and it is only MAY!!!! It isn't even summer yet and I feel like I have a handle on the chores that I have assigned myself. I even got my vegetable garden planted, and after watering everything, the plants look like they will survive. YAY! Thank god for small miracles. I guess I can't really complain because I tend to have a green thumb. It is just nice to enjoy being outside in good weather.

Last night was book club, and it was just great to hang with some new and old friends, talking books, but really, talking about everything else too. There was a 5 week old baby there, and it blew my mind to realize just how much Brandon has grown and to visualize the difference between a month and 10 months old. It is worlds apart already. I can feel myself get pretty hyper - talking to adults!!!!! but also, getting to know new people, rediscovering parts of myself and getting to know the latest version of me. Weeks are going by way too fast. I am acutely aware of when that day marking the end of my mat leave is coming up and I have mixed feelings. I am sure once I am back in to it, and in to a whole new routine it will look a little different, but right now it feels like a foreign concept and I feel a new list being formed - making sure I get out and do the important stuff, and do some visiting as well while I am off because damn, where the hell did the last 10 months go?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A book club would be a remarkable thing, but who has time to read? You are incredibly organized.

I don't envy you the decision about returning to work. Is 10 months typical in Canada? We get 3 months here, and jobs guaranteed for another 3 without pay. And that's it!

Kazzy said...

I read when I breastfeed, and just before I go to bed... lifelong habit and what actually puts me to sleep.. a good/bad thing..

thankfully we get up to a year for a mat leave with pay benefits.. it is a big deal.. it is brutal that they make you go back to work so soon.. hard on the kids, hard on the folks!!!!